The Industrial Refrigeration technician must be able to use industry experience to complete monthly service checks, minor and major equipment overhauls on industrial refrigeration plants. The technician should be detailed, technical and hands-on and should operate effectively under pressure and within time constraints. The technician will promptly respond to individual customer call outs and manage customer expectations appropriately with the help of his/her direct line manager. It is expected that the technician will work after hours as needed.
- Service and maintain industrial refrigeration plants in accordance with maintenance schedules and record in plant log book
- Overhaul minor and major plant equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations and record in plant log book
- Perform refrigerant evacuation procedures if and when pressurized lines need to be cut
- Understand Pipe and Instrumentation diagrams to perform plant shut-downs, start-ups and commissioning
- Work with mechanical and electrical installation teams on site to provide technical support
- Work with admin Support Team to create prompt, accurate and competitive invoicing for call outs
- Effectively manage time on site and record call outs on job cards
- Assess the refrigeration plant for compliance to the latest SANS10147
- Inform management of hazardous or non-compliant refrigeration plants that he/she encounters during call-out
- Observe regulations when transporting refrigerants in company vehicles
- Ensure areas are demarcated if hazardous tasks are executed on site and health and safety is observed.
- Personal protective equipment, overalls and tools appropriately used when needed
- Professionally represent the company through amicable engagement with clients and always tidying up work areas after completion of work.
- Travel as required
Minimum Education / Experience:
- Mechanical and/or Electrical qualification from accredited institution
- or equivalent technical/industrial Refrigeration experience.
- Basic knowledge of electrical and mechanical diagrams
- Interpretation of electrical and mechanical data, (pressure, temperature, speed, volts,
- amps etc.)
- Basic understanding of refrigeration cycle
- Technical understanding of rotary machines
- Systematic and methodical approach to problem solving
- Must be able to comprehend technical briefs
- Must have a clean driving record and valid driver’s license
Ability to apply technical solutions for Refrigeration / process design requirements. Must be able to approach problems systematically and methodically. Draw logical conclusions where a lack of data is present.