The role of the Project Manager is to plan, execute and finalize projects according to strict deadlines and within budget. This includes acquiring resources and co-ordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. The Project Manager will also define the project’s objectives and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle.
• Direct and manage project development from beginning to end.
• Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
• Develop full-scale project plans and associated communications documents.
• Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
• Liaise with project stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
• Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals.
• Draft and submit budget proposals and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary.
• Where required, negotiate with other department managers for the acquisition of required personnel from within the company.
• Determine and assess the need for additional staff and / or consultants and make the appropriate recruitments if necessary during project cycle.
• Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders.
• Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
• Health and Safety compliance.
• ISO process compliance.
• Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team.
• Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
• Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
• Track project milestones and deliverables.
• Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation and presentations.
• Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyse results and troubleshoot problem areas.
• Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises and devise contingency plans.
• Define project success criteria and disseminate them to involved parties throughout project life cycle.
• Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
• Build, develop and grow any business relationships vital to the success of the project.
• Conduct project post mortems and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
• Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management.
• Control of project financial performance and reporting.
• Ensuring effective final commissioning and handover.
• Sourcing of materials and equipment within specification and at lowest cost.
• Technical HVAC knowledge. Preferably a National Diploma in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
• 5 years direct work experience in an HVAC project management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution. (Minimum R 35 mil value)
• Solid working knowledge of current Internet technologies.
• Demonstrated experience in personnel management.
• Technically competent in all aspects of MS Office.
• Thorough understanding of HSE legislation and good practice
• Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential.
• Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
• Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently.
• Flexible during times of change.
• Ability to read communications styles of team members and contractors who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines.
• Persuasive, assertive, encouraging and motivating.
• Ability to elicit co-operation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, sub-contractors and other departments.
• Ability to defuse tension within project team, should it arise.
• Ability to bring project to successful completion through political sensitivity.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products.
• Must be able to learn, understand and apply new technologies.
• Customer service skills an asset.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial.
• Working knowledge of JBCC contracts.
• Preference will be given to candidates who will enhance the company’s employment equity requirements.
• Overtime may be required in meeting project deadlines.
• Physically able to participate in training sessions, presentation and meetings.
• Some travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients, stakeholders or off-site personnel / management.
• Walking / climbing for site inspection purposes.
• Endure construction site conditions.
Skills Set Requirements: Contracts Management portion of job
Qualification: Diploma / Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
Health, Safety and Environment
Financial Management for non-financial managers
Technical Knowledge: HVAC Principles
Reading Drawings, Mechanical, Electrical, Architectural, Structural
Building design and Construction
Soft Skills: Communication
Programming, Planning, Organizing, Controlling
Coaching / Mentoring
Commercial sense / Judgement
Prioritising, Sense of urgency
Physical: Endure construction site conditions
Other: Driver’s license
Willing to relocate